spiced chai cinnamon rolls
There is nothing like a warm batch of cinnamon rolls in the morning — especially when they are packed with protein! These Spiced Chai Cinnamon Rolls are vegan and can be made gluten-free. Pop leftovers in the microwave for 30-seconds to enjoy a soft + warm sweet treat anytime!
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 20-25 Minutes
- 1 cup Svelte® Spiced Chai Protein Shake, warm to the touch
- 1 packet active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar + 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour* + 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ICING (optional)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons Svelte® Spiced Chai Protein Shake
*Sub for all-purpose gluten-free flour to make gluten-free
- Heat Svelte® Spiced Chai until warm to the touch, not too hot.
- Add yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar to warmed Svelte®. Let sit for 15 minutes until yeast mixture becomes foamy.
- Once foamy, whisk in 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add up to an additional cup of flour to form a dough slightly sticky to touch, but not sticking to your hands. (You likely will not need to add all of the flour.)
- Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes by hand or using a mixer.
- Form dough into a ball and cover with a hand towel. Let rest for 30 minutes, the dough ball should grow in size.
- While the dough rises, grease a 9″ x 9″ pan, and prepare the filling.
- Add cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Heat coconut oil to soften until spreadable.
- When the dough has finished resting, flour a clean surface and roll the dough out into an 11″ by 14″ rectangle.
- Spread softened coconut oil over the dough rectangle, leaving about 1/2″ on one of the longer ends clean.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the coconut oil.
- Roll the dough from the longer side with oil/filling to the longer clean side. Use a little water to help the clean dough stick and seal to the roll.
- Cut the dough roll into 9 even pieces and place in the oiled 9″ pan, swirls facing up.
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Gently cover the rolls with a hand towel and let rise another 15 minutes.
- Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Mix icing sugar with Svelte® Spiced Chai. Start with 1 tablespoon of Svelte® and add more until the desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle baked cinnamon rolls with icing.
*Recipe modified from: Where You Get Your Protein