fruit filled toaster pastries
Did you love toaster pastries as a kid? Try making your own with healthy fillings like mixed berry chia seed jam or spiced apples. These pastries are low in sugar and made with Svelte® organic protein shakes!
Makes: 6-8 Toaster Pastries
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Bake Time: 20-25 Minutes
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour (gluten-free if needed) + more for rolling
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- ½ – ¾ cup Svelte® French Vanilla Protein Shake
MIXED BERRY CHIA SEED JAM
- 1 cup berries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 apple — skinned, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut the cold coconut oil into small chunks and add to the dry mixture.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, mix together the coconut oil and dry mixture until it becomes crumbly. Use the fork or pastry cutter to break the coconut oil into smaller pieces as needed. Do not overmix — you want there to be crumbs.
- Drizzle Svelte® French Vanilla into the bowl as you mix the dough to come together. Start with 1/2 cup and use up to an additional 1/4 cup until the mixture comes together enough to shape into a ball. Again, do not overmix.
- Return the dough ball to the bowl and cover with a light cloth or plastic wrap. Refrigerate covered for 20+ minutes.
- Make filling(s) by heating ingredients in saucepan over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and lightly flour a clean surface.
- Roll out the chilled dough until 1/4 inch thick or a little thinner. Sprinkle flour as needed if the dough gets too sticky.
- Cut the dough into an even number of rectangles. Roll out leftover dough and form additional rectangles until all dough is used.
- Place half of the dough rectangles on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place up to 2 tablespoons of filling in each pastry, leaving 1/4 inch around the edges free of filling.
- Using your finger or a brush, wet the exposed edges of each pastry.
- Place an additional dough rectangle on top of each dough with filling and crimp the edges together with a fork.
- Poke a few vent holes on top of each pastry for steam to escape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Enjoy as is, top with additional filling, or let cool and glaze with icing.