coconut oat crusted chai french toast
This tasty french toast is vegan, gluten-free, and filled with fiber! Treat yourself with a delightful crunch and delicious chai flavor. Top with your favorites like caramelized bananas (recipe included below) and pecans!
Makes: 8-10 Slices
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 Minutes
- 1 cup Svelte® Spiced Chai Protein Shake
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 8-10 slices of bread, slightly stale works best
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Svelte® Spiced Chai
- Pinch of salt
- Mix Svelte® Spiced Chai and flaxseed in a bowl and set aside for 10+ minutes.
- Mix oats and coconut in a bowl and set aside.
- Prep bread into slices. Use vegan and/or gluten-free bread if needed. If using fresh sandwich bread, let it sit out 10-15 minutes to dry out before using.
- Preheat griddle or pan to medium heat.
- Lightly dip both sides of the bread into the Svelte® and flaxseed mixture, completely covering each side.
- Next dip both sides of the battered bread into the oat and coconut mixture, completely covering each side.
- Place coated bread on the griddle/pan and cook 6+ minutes per side. Depending on the type of bread using and desired crispness, you may want to cook longer on each side. If you notice the oat crust starting to burn, turn the heat down a little.
- For caramelized bananas: heat banana slices, coconut sugar, salt, and Svelte® Spiced Chai in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until mixture thickens into a sauce — about 5 minutes.